As a high-school student, fresh undergraduate just out of school, one of your dreams is probably to further your studies in a great institution dream abroad. The next step after making this decision is to decide what study destination/country you want.
The United Kingdom, popularly known as (U.K) is one of the world’s top destinations for students looking to study abroad for undergraduate or post-graduate studies. In Nigeria, the U.K is easily one of the most preferred destinations for students, with Nigerians making up the majority of the African student population in Universities.
Originally, the U.K is actually “United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Island”. It is made up of Great Britain (England, Scotland Wales) and Northern Ireland under one monarch and government. Each country has its own distinct regions, each offering large cosmopolitan cities, towns, and countryside villages. See some other information about the United Kingdom;
Capital: London( A capital, not a country)
Languages: English, Irish and Welsh
Currency: Pound Sterling [£] (GBP)
Major Cities: Birmingham, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Liverpool, London, Manchester
So you are probably thinking, so what makes studying in the United Kingdom different? Keep reading to see some of the reasons U.K ranks second to the United States globally.
- UK higher education degrees and qualifications are recognized by employers and academics worldwide
- UK universities rank among the best in the world, and consistently perform well in world rankings and have a reputation for world-class research)
- UK courses are generally shorter than other countries, helping to reduce overall tuition fees and accommodation costs
- International students are allowed to work for up to 20 hours a week during term time and full-time during holidays
- International students need to apply for a visa to study in the UK, and there are work permit restrictions and some English language qualifications you may need. Universities advise all applicants what standard of English is required for their courses
- There will most likely be a need for you to demonstrate proficiency in English, or to take an approved English language test if English is not your first language.
Are you ready to get your research on, or you are still undecided about what country to study in? Your dreams are valid and we can help you chart the path. Chat with any of our counselors on the website or take advantage of our FREE consultation service to start your study abroad journey.